Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Thank Goodness for the Lovey!

When Gianna was two weeks old, she had trouble taking naps.  She would fall asleep just fine, but she would startle and throw her arms out as though she was falling at every little noise.  I finally remembered the lovey a friend had given Gigi as a gift.  I started putting the lovey near Gigi's hands when it was time to sleep, and she would grab hold and relax completely!  It was magical! 


Isn't she precious!  I can't believe she's 15 months now!









Having only one lovey made me feel vulnerable...what if we lost it?  or forgot it?  It was quickly becoming as vital to our existence as diapers!  I looked at buying one, but the only ones I could find cost $22!  A very close friend of mine finally convinced me that it would be easy to make one of my own, and this became my very first sewing project!


Imperfect as it was, I was so proud!  :)  It took me several attempts to get it right, but now I can turn them out like a factory!  And I make sure that I include one of these in every baby shower gift I give!


So, speaking of baby showers, I happen to have an invitation to one this weekend!  Since I am making a lovey today anyway, why not put together a little tutorial for those of you who are looking for a good shower gift, or for a lifesaving sleeping aid for your little one!

Materials:
-1/4 yard of decorative material
-1/4 yard of soft cozy fabric
-2 different ribbon colors that coordinate with your fabric (it's fun to have the ribbons be different textures as well, although mine are the same here)
-thread


First, create a pattern, mine is 11x11, but you can make it any size you wish.  Pin the pattern to your decorative fabric and cut it out.


Now, lay the cut piece of decorative fabric over the soft fabric and cut a slightly larger square.  I know it's wasteful, but I do this because the softer fabric is very stretchy and it tends to shift as you sew.  By cutting a larger square, you cut down on the shifting and avoid several other pitfalls.


Next, cut six 5" pieces of each color ribbon.  Fold the ribbon pieces in half and pin them to the right side of your decorative fabric.


Once the ribbon is pinned in place, sew around the outside edges with a 1/4" seam allowance.  This will secure the ribbons in place and keep them from moving all over the place when you put the final pieces together. 

Ok, now you're ready to add the soft fabric, isn't it snuggly?!  Lay the decorative, and now ribboned piece on top of your soft fabric square (right sides facing) and pin it in place.  


Sew around the square using a 1/2" seam allowance.  Make sure to leave a 2-3" gap in the middle of one side so that you can turn the piece right side out.


Before turning it, trim off all the excess material, and clip the corners.  This will help the finished piece to be smooth and not lumpy! 


Now turn your piece right side out and press.


The last thing you need to do is tuck in the edges of the opening that you used to turn your piece, and sew it closed using a 1/4" seam allowance.   Easy, right?!  And an absolute lifesaver, I promise!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...that fabric looks famiiar! I am loving your blog posts! You are turning them out like a machine! Where do you find the time?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon! You have great taste in fabric, but don't worry, I haven't forgotten your pj pants! Luckily, both kids still nap, and they nap at the same time!

      Delete