Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Philly Cheese Steak...Pizza!

I'll get to the recipe in just a minute, first, a story...
So yesterday was Gigi's 18 month check up, and it started out well enough, the kids played fine in the waiting area and had no problems once we were taken to the room...
The trauma  started when we tried to weigh Gianna! 
She screamed and screamed and thrashed and kicked and in general freaked out!
And again when the nurse tried to measure her length and her head!
I mean you would have thought we were applying baby torture techniques to the child!
She calmed down with a snack once the nurse left, and remained calm while the Dr. and I talked, but the freak out began again with the introduction of the stethoscope, and the attempt to look in her ears etc. etc. etc.
And you can just guess how well the shots portion of the appointment went...sigh.
On a positive note, Noah sang his heart out for her trying to calm her down :)
By the end I was so exhausted I could barely see straight, and I was more traumatized than Gigi!
When it was over she gathered her lovey, her sippy cup, and her prize from the box (a soft football) and marched out the door communicating clearly that she was not planning to ever return!
Please tell me I am not alone, other kids hate the Doctor this much too, right?!!
Problem: Rough day - Solution: Comfort food!
Before we begin I must tell you, I did not set out to make this a pizza...
I actually intended to make sandwiches but forgot the bread!
Oh happy accident!
Let me tell you about my secret weapon...
This is my go to pizza crust mix for those days when I didn't plan ahead and make my own (which I will admit is most days)
Note the brand, Kroger...
I have tried many other store brand and name brand pizza crust mixes and this one is the best!
It is also the cheapest, retailing for a whopping $.79 or $.63 on sale!
 
Ingredients:
1 package pizza crust mix
1 green bell pepper
1 onion
3-4 tsp McCormick's Montreal steak seasoning
salt and pepper
2-3 cups mozzarella cheese
3 tblsp olive oil
 

Begin by preparing your crust as instructed on the back of the package...


While that sets up, slice your pepper and onion into long thin strips...
I like to cut the pepper into long strips and then cut those strips in half, they cook more evenly that way and it's easier to eat them on the pizza.
Now it's time to retrieve the pizza dough.
I use a little olive oil on my hands to keep the dough from sticking to me, and then I spread the dough thinly on my pan.
I like a crispier crust, so I poke the dough with a fork, but that's optional!
Once you have it spread to your satisfaction, put it in the oven for about 7 minutes.
While the crust is baking...
Heat 2 tblsp of olive oil over medium heat and add the onions and peppers!
lightly salt and pepper the vegetables, cover, and cook until soft stirring occasionally
When the crust is done...
Take the remaining 1 tblsp of olive oil and brush it over the crust.
Then give it a light dusting of the grill seasoning...
Now for the steak!
You could prepare steak especially for this pizza, but
I recommend buying a large steak for steak night ensuring that you will have leftovers and thus an excuse to make Philly cheese steak pizza!
(Clearly I bought way too much steak, and we will have to have another clever steak leftover meal tomorrow night)
Cut the steak into thin strips, and then into bite sized pieces!
Then toss it in with your pepper and onions!
Toss in 2 tsp of your grilling seasoning and cook until the meat is heated through.
Retrieve your pizza crust and top it with the mozzarella cheese (provolone is probably more appropriate, but I had motz so motz is what I used)
spoon your meat and veggies evenly over the top, and once again sprinkle lightly with the grilling seasoning...
And pop it in the oven for another 8-9 minutes!
Lets see that again!
100% YUM!
 

4 comments:

  1. That's it, I'm coming to your house for dinner. I am still trying to figure out what is on our menu tonight!

    Gigi's appointments sound very much like Gavin's appointments! His screaming bouts started around the 9th month or one year well baby check up. But, he took the flu and booster shot he had last week like a trooper. He cried (it's scary getting your pants taken off and a stranger coming at you with a needle!) during his shots, but stopped crying before we left the room. Yeah! Progress! He even told himself, "It's okay".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome any time!!! I love how he comforted himself, I hope Gigi has a better 2 year appointment!

      Delete
  2. So, because it is Philly Cheesesteak Pizza, you don't use tomato sauce, right? It looks amazing! (Great hints on the pizza dough!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, no tomato sauce, just the olive oil and a sprinkle of grilling seasoning!

      Delete