Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Flirty Little Dress Shirt Skirt...Say that 5 times fast!

So, I didn't make it into the top 10 of the Sew-vivor contest, but the competition was fierce and I wish the competitors the best of luck!
I actually had such a great project planned for the Emerald round that I will go ahead and make it anyway and post the tutorial so we can all be winners!
In the mean time, I have a great up-cycle project for you to try!  
Ignore, if you can, the cute little baby belly, and focus on the sweet little skirt!
Love it?  Want to make one?  Here's how...
It all starts with this, a regular dress shirt donated by a very generous grandpa!
Measure your subject to get the preferred length for the skirt (Gigi is a 2T and I cut the shirt at 10" knowing that I would add another inch with the custom waistband)
Step one is to sew both sides of the button up front closed...
After the holidays, I snagged these spools of tulle for super cheap, so I used some of the pink to give the skirt some extra fluff, but this part is optional!
I measured out two strips of tulle the same size as the skirt portion, and folded one of the pieces in half length wise.  I then sewed the folded piece to the bottom of the unfolded piece...
Next I sewed the tulle together on the short ends to make it a circle...
I measured the tulle before sewing it to make sure that it would be the same size as the shirt piece...
Forgive me, but I didn't take a picture of this step, the above picture shows the waist band already attached, but imagine that the waist band isn't there...simply place the tulle inside the shirt skirt and sew them together all the way around!
Ok, now for the waistband itself...
Create a wide piece of bias tape, I wanted to use 3/4" elastic, so I cut a piece 3 1/2" wide and long enough to go all the way around the waist of my skirt with just a little extra for overlap.
Then I turned that piece into bias tape seen above.  (Need a refresher on how to make bias tape?  Click HERE you will find the bias tape instructions about halfway down the blog post :)
Now simply open up the ends and sew them together, refold them and you should have a bias tape circle that is the same size as the waist of your skirt!
Sew the band in place using a 1/4" seam allowance and be sure to leave a small gap at the back for inserting the elastic!
To give the waist a little more interest and style, I also sew along the top edge using a 1/4" seam allowance, but this step is optional as well!
Now insert that elastic and prepare to be amazed!  (measure your little one's waist and subtract an inch or two to get the perfect elastic length)  The best part is that since we used the existing hem of the shirt, it has a unique wavy bottom, and we don't have any extra hemming to do!
I love how it poofs out just a bit!
Hmmm, looks like we might need to get a larger shirt...hello belly!
Just look how our model demonstrates the flexibility of the skirt...
and just look at how comfortable it is...
But really, the wow factor is that all that awesome cuteness was created in less than an hour!
She looks impressed, doesn't she?!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you didn't make it to the next round :( They don't know what they are missing! Gigi looks as cute as ever and is already fashionable at such a young age, thanks to her Momma!

    ReplyDelete