Friday, May 31, 2013

Missed it by THAT much!

So, my favorite candy bar is the Peppermint Patty...
I love the dark chocolate, the refreshing mintyness, and that little announcement on the bag that declares it to have 70% less fat!  (less fat than what is not disclosed, but I like to think it's 70% less fat than broccoli)
Anyway...
I found a recipe on Pinterest for how to make your own patties and I thought I'd give it a try!
Something magical happens when you combine a can of sweetened condensed milk and several cups of powdered sugar...
It makes this crazy dough that is sort of solid, and sort of liquid...
And you can mold it into all kinds of shapes!  (not circles, clearly, but then this was my first time!)
After refrigerating the...centers?...filling?...the middle stuff...
it's time to coat them in chocolate!
Behold the perfection that Hersey has achieved...
Behold!  The mess that I made!
It was difficult to keep the centers together while dipping, nearly impossible to coat the candy evenly, and while I dearly wanted to call this a pinterest fail, honesty forces me to admit that my lack of chocolate dipping skills were at fault!
Ugly though they may be...
They do taste pretty darn close to the real deal!

2 comments:

  1. Nailed it! Ha ha! It seriously looks like a big tray of deliciousness to me. Where's my fork?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a try, I'm sure you could figure out how to dip them properly! Then you could share the secret with me! Also, I am a terrible friend, the kids LOVED the package you sent! I will be emailing soon, I promise! Love you!

      Delete