Thursday, October 17, 2013

Because Sometimes, You Just Need to put a Hood on it!

You could probably go your whole life and never encounter this problem, but since I did, and I found a solution for it, and the solution only took about 10 minutes to complete, I thought I'd share!
The problem is a having a regular sweatshirt when what you need is a hooded sweatshirt!
Thanks to last year's batty family costume fest...
Many of you are acquainted with my relatively new obsession with sweatshirt costumes...(Find the Bat costume tutorial HERE )  So, when Gigi said she wanted to be a ghost, I immediately launched into action!  The trouble I ran into was in finding a plain white (inexpensive) toddler hooded sweatshirt!
I did find the "unhooded" sweatshirt pictured above, however, and I decided to add a hood myself!
So here is an extremely easy tutorial for adding a hood to a regular sweatshirt...

What you will need:
1 non hooded sweatshirt
1/2 yard material in a matching color (or a large old sweatshirt you are ok cutting up)
basic sewing supplies

Ok, I ended up buying the 1/2 yard of sweatshirt material from JoAnns because I didn't have an existing white sweatshirt to cut apart, but the process would be the same regardless...
Begin by laying out your fabric with the right sides facing, then lay the hood of an existing sweatshirt or jacket in the size you want on top...
Trace the hood being sure to leave an extra inch at the front to allow for finishing the edge.
Next cut out your two hood shaped pieces...
And pin them together along the curved edge, and sew along the curve using a 1/2 inch seam allowance...
The next step is to fold back the front edge (the edge that frames the face) by about an inch and press it down...
Then sew along your pressed edge...
Keeping the hood inside out, turn the sweatshirt inside out as well, and slip the hood inside the shirt...
Pin the hood along the back edge of the sweatshirt making sure to match up the middle of the hood with the center of the back portion of the sweatshirt...
Sew along your pinned edge, turn the whole thing right side out, and...
THAT is how it's done!...
Ghost Costume tutorial coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment