Monday, September 22, 2014

It's Bran Baby!

What do you think of when you here "bran muffin"?
For most, it probably conjures up descriptive words like bland...healthy...boring...
For me, bran muffins conjure images of my grandmother's kitchen, warm cozy mornings, and tasty breakfasts.
So let me share my grandmother's bran muffin recipe with you and forever change your perception of bran!!
I have no information about the origins of this recipe, but I have is this authentic, hand written recipe card given to me by my grandma Stone many many years ago, and that's good enough for me!
What you'll need:
1 box of All Bran (I've tried other brands before and they fall short)
2 cups of buttermilk (I use the lowfat)
1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of margerine
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
2 1/2 cups of flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
 
-preheat the oven to 400 degrees
-Combine 1 cup of boiling water with one cup of bran and set it aside to cool
-cream butter and sugar together, then add the eggs, buttermilk and bran/water combo
-slowly add in your dry ingredients
-Finally, add in 2 1/4 cups of dry bran
Mix it all together until well combined!
Line your muffin tin with muffin cups (or you can just spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray)
And bake for 15-16 minutes!
Gigi has actually dubbed them "bran cupcakes" and she feels like she's getting away with something when she has one for breakfast!
So from now on, don't think of bran muffins as boring and bland, think of them as delicous bran cupcakes, a special breakfast treat!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment